Sunday, September 6, 2009

A Little Starbucks Perspective



For the past 10 days I have been going through serious roommate withdrawal. My roomie Niki jetted off to Europe for a well deserved and needed vacation (she works like a crazy person), but left me home all alone! I'm usually the one that is hardly there and is always leaving for something, but this is the first time it's completely the opposite and I'm so not a fan. Niki would probably be laughing at this right now, but it's true!

So I was procrastinating earlier and instead of doing something productive I decided to flip through some old pictures. I came across this one above and it reminded me of Niki so much. She is usually a pretty camera happy girl and taking pictures of starbucks cups sounds just like her. So this wasn't surprising when I came across it. Then I actually read the quote and loved it! Who knew Starbucks had some real insight? For those of you who can't read the small print it says:

"Failure's hard, but success is far more dangerous. If you're successful at the wrong thing, the mix of praise and money and opportunity can lock you in forever."

I never thought about success in that way before and it really made sense to me. People go their whole lives doing things just because they're good at them, but are they really happy? For a long time I thought a certain profession and a certain salary would make me happy and provide a certain security that I thought I would need for the future. That couldn't be further from where I am in my life now. I find that I'm nowhere near as materialistic as I was when I was younger and everything I do, I do because I love it. Maybe that will lead me to my dream car or multiple houses all over the world (I can dream ok), but maybe it won't and I'm ok with that. To wake up and want to go to work every day is better than any salary. To have a passion that will ultimately make a difference in the lives of others means more to me than anything money can buy. I would rather fail at trying to do something I am so proud to be a part of than succeed at something I find meaningless and empty.



Thanks for this Niki!
COME HOME TO ME SOON I MISS YOU
much love
xo

No comments: