Monday, September 14, 2009

Commonwealth Games Canada


This morning I went down to Fuel Advertising to shoot a little promo video for Commonwealth Games Canada (CGC). They are trying to attract some new sponsors and corporate attention to the organization. When they called me and asked if I would be willing to shoot some footage I jumped at the chance. The 2006 Commonwealth Games in Melbourne, Australia were one of the greatest experiences of my life. It was such an unbelievable trip and I would do anything for CGC. Not only did I have a career personal best down there, but I found my motivation to keep going for the Olympics. Before then I wasn't sure if there was enough left in me to do it. I was coming off one of the biggest disappoints of my life, missing the 04 Games, and Melbourne was my first real test.

I didn't know what to expect heading down to my first Commonwealth Games, but from the second I stepped off the plane I knew it was going to be a life changing trip. I hate to call it the 'friendly' games because it's just as competitive as others, but the sportsmanship and comradery among the athletes is different. Everyone is supporting each other and cheering them on, even if they're not from their country. I felt the whole village behind me when I headed into my last day of the competition going for the World REcord. That's something that you don't usually get. The athletes were more open to meeting each other and I learned a lot from them. It was kind of like a 'mentoring' session for me you could say. The Commonwealth Games lands just in the middle of the cycle, not too far from the Olympics to not take it seriously, but far enough that you're still learning and improving upon your own potential. These Games are the perfect opportunity to get out there in front of tens of thousands screaming fans and face that kind of pressure. It's a great stepping stone to Pan Ams and the Olympics. I will never forget Melbourne. I was so inspired when I left that I had the best two competitive years of my life after that. I thank everyone involved with those Games, the athletes, the coaches the Mission Staff and volunteers. They made it all it could be for all of us and we are so grateful.

So when I sat down in front of the camera, fully decked in my HBC 06 Commonwealth Gear, I had the biggest grin on my face. I believe that as athletes we can help improve the current financial support we receive from this country. We can't always rely on others to do this for us. I think that when corporations hear a genuine statement directly from an athlete, they feel more of a personal connection. When it comes from the heart how could they say no right? :)

Hopefully, I can help bring in some more support for Commonwealth Games Canada and give more of our athletes a chance to have the opportunity to represent our country at these incredible Games.

No comments: