Saturday, September 19, 2009

Good Luck Ohenewa



I am so lucky to have met and become friends with one of the greatest women I have ever known, Ohenewa Akuffo. We have known each other for a few years now and I am still just as much in awe of her as I was the first day I met her. Ohenewa is a Canadian Olympic Wrestler, who I shared my first Olympic Games in Beijing with. Without her I wouldn't have been able to keep so positive and inspired. I can't thank her enough for that...

She sends out little email updates to all her supporters and loved ones and I wanted to share her last one with all of you...

---------------------

Hello Friends and Family,
I am preparing for another battle. I am heading off to Denmark today (Saturday September 19, 2009) to represent Canada again. Please keep me in your prayers as I am wrestling on Friday September 25, 2009. You can watch matches online and follow results at www.wwc2009.dk. Thank you for your continued support.

I am strong, I am powerful and I am blessed...
Ohenewa Akuffo

---------------------

I know it sounds pretty basic and simple, but it's anything but. She takes everything in her life, every obstacle, every challenge as a battle. She puts her whole heart into everything she does and is the definition of a fighting spirit. After finishing 5th at the Beijing Games, which is UNBELIEVABLE and I am beyond proud of her, she wanted more. Ohenewa was looking for a medal and nothing but would satisfy her. I think we all know what that feels like. It doesn't matter what place you get or what mark you receive, in or out of sport, when you set your mind to something and don't get it you're not going to be happy. I totally understand that and live through that almost every day of my life. Nothing is ever good enough, but this is not about me, this is about O. She recovered from knee surgery and put herself in the most incredible state of mind to keep going and push for the London Olympics. I hope she doesn't mind me broadcasting her age, but she is almost 30 years old and is in the best shape of her life. That last line of her email..."I am strong, I am powerful and I am blessed" really sums up her personality for me. She is a force to be reckoned with and I wish I could be more like her.

Good Luck in Denmark O you will be amazing!
much love

1 comment:

marso said...

What amazing women you both are.
My thoughts are with O wishing her all the success she deserves.