Thursday, July 29, 2010

2 Years to London 2012



I still can't believe yesterday marked the 2 year countdown to the London Olympics. It feels like everyone is still reeling from Vancouver...literally. The pure adrenaline that I was running on the entire time threw my body into shock when I got back to the East coast. Don't get me wrong, it was totally worth it. I wouldn't trade the days without sleep and deliciously fatty foods for anything...not to mention screaming at the top of my lungs day in and day out either.

Everything about Vancouver was unbelievable. I have never seen so much Canadian pride. The streets were littered with Canada gear and there was something in the air. For the first time I could enjoy a huge sporting event, without the stress of actually having some sort of responsibility. Wait - I can go to that concert, only get 4 hours of sleep and still have time to grab that hockey ticket for tomorrow? You mean I don't have to dedicate 4-6 hours of my day to the gym and miss all the other events going on?

I could get used to this.

Not being an athlete anymore has its perks, but with London fast approaching I'm not sure how I feel about it. It's the next Summer Olympics and Beijing is becoming a distant memory for some. As our athletes look ahead, setting their sights on that podium in London, we all move on with them. It dawned on me that I am going to be just another Rhythmic Gymnastics spectator, cheering on the girls that gave it their all to grab that Olympic berth. My generation, my time in the sport is over and you know what - I'm ok with that. Maybe a year ago I wasn't in this place, but I've become a different person then I ever could be if I was still training. I'll never forget the incredible moments I had as a Canadian athlete, but I couldn't go back there now.

I stood at a press conference at the Canadian Athletes Now Fund yesterday afternoon downtown Toronto and was so proud of my former teammates. They came from all different sports, but all have the same thing in common. They are sacrificing it all for a shot in London. Let's do everything we can to support them.

Please check out www.canadianathletesnow.ca/ and make a difference in the life of an athlete. They need all of us behind them now in the home stretch to the Games.

Go Canada!

No comments: