Friday, January 23, 2009

New Years Resolution -> Don't be so RECKLESS with your body...

So I would love to say that I took my own advice and tried to take it easy on my body this year....but that just wouldn't be me. Ever since I was a little girl I would always throw myself into things 250%, especially anything physical. I hated not being good at something and would push and push and push myself to get better with literally no fear. And I mean that. I mean no fear as in no fear of getting hurt or not being able to do something. My parents still tell me stories about how I used to throw myself down the ski hill when I was little or never ever hold myself back on the mat or in the gym. I apparently terrified my mom. Can you imagine a mother watching her kid be so competitive and fearless? I'm pretty sure it would terrify me actually. I guess it's just part of my charm as my best friend put it yesterday. I was telling her last night exactly what I've done to myself now and she wasn't even surprised. When I hurt myself it's all or nothing. It's either the worst case scenario or the best...no middle ground. So this time was no different...

I was up north having a very fun weekend with twelve lovely ladies and I really wanted to try some skiing. I had the time of my life snowboarding the week before so I really wanted to ski. Unfortunately, skiing definitely didn't like me. It was the most embarrassing and painful experience of my life! Not only was I completely hopeless at it, but had the most brutal falls. I mean those types of falls where your hat and goggles and poles go flying....your body gets thrown down the hill....skis pop off...it was a disaster. But I have to say that even though it was painful and frustrating, I kept going. I was actually getting the hang of it and managed to make it down a blue diamond (whatever that means) without falling once! So we decided to do one last run to finish off the day and that's when I think my luck really turned on me...

To make a very long and painful story short...I caught a very bad icy edge fell very very hard as I was going ridiculously fast (too fast) and my skis didn't pop off. So my body went tumbling one way and my skis (still on) got caught and just twisted my right knee. I heard that horrible snapping sound when you know you just tore a ligament. Even before I fell I knew it was bad. My whole leg was on fire and I wasn't even going to try and move it. So paramedics had to come and snowmobile me down to the bottom, which was the most embarrassing thing ever, and we had to immediately get me to a hospital. I ended up on crutches and a lot of painkillers. It's the first time I was ever on crutches and I hate them. They make you feel like you are absolutely helpless. I couldn't even get a glass of water for myself and bring it to where I was resting. It was brutal. I'm off them now but have a very long recovery to go...but I know I can handle it....serves me right for trying to have a little fun with my newfound freedom...

Moral of the story... NO TRAINING = TROUBLE :)

4 comments:

2.5TT said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Odonval said...

Heyy, my names Brett, and I just wanted to say I saw you in the olympics (a little late I know) and wanted to say great job, it must have been an amazing experience!

Anonymous said...

hi alex how are you?i am erwin from singapore have yu been there before, would like to know more about you , i heard you are voted as the sexiest top 50 beautiful stars in beijing 2008
would you email me sporelee5 at gmail dot com so that its more convienient to ask you a few things
as well as your autogrpah for rememberance
what do you like to do in your free time? travel?

Febin Joy Arappattu said...

I've been reading your blogs and comment during Olympics... and after Olympics, I didn't see any post for sometime... and thought you deserted it. Today came here for a visit again and saw that you are continuing... Hope you are alright by now as its almost 6 months since you posted about the injury. Have a nice time.. Take care... Febz